Country Crossing

Country Crossing
Poetry of Thomas Martin



Saturday, February 21, 2015

Nessie

Alltsaigh, Loch Ness - the Scotch Highlands

I made a pact with you near water's edge:
 Before the campers came, I would remove
 The drawings on the hostel's kitchen walls
 In which you are a few sad and patient tires
Half in some blued-out lake with dragon face
So patently fading to public white

. You said you would never come back up
 To startle us again or find disgrace…
 So you said going black under blue;

 I knew you would be back
 Sailing these spindrift waters
 Diving the bone-deep depths and taunting us
 Across the waves with your rippling spines,
 And flair for bumbling melodrama.
 Therefore, I have kept my watch
 And evenings, a blue sword in darkness,
 I look downward and slip off into the night

Copyright Thomas Martin,2006-2015

Published Sketch book--Spring 2010

2 comments:

  1. Love this poem!
    I am going back to Scotland in July and will be on the lookout for the Loch Ness "Big Guy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought you might have some fun with this

    The Road (encrypted haiku)

    We hunt after this
    In seasons that hold ever
    That road used to hope

    clue - first letters

    ReplyDelete