Country Crossing

Country Crossing
Poetry of Thomas Martin



Sunday, July 20, 2008

Haibun - Moonlight


I remember the first time my family rented a summer vacation cottage at Long Beach, North Carolina. Darkness had fallen by the time we finished unloading the car. I came in with the last load and after dropping the box in the kitchen, went out to the screen porch where Mother was standing.


first night
the full moon floats
on silver waves





Every now and then through the years, she would remind me of how beautiful she found the moonlit ocean and how precious the memory. I remember those pitchers of iced tea, countless meals, covering my brother and me with lotions. She could drink coffee and gaze at the ocean for hours.


waist deep in the sea
"can't you come in a little"
current pulls at my feet

No comments:

Post a Comment